- Local Newstalk: Senate to conduct jail safety study; Sheriff’s Dept. to review response; County names Early Head Start director
- National: Julian Bond praised for devotion to equality; Carson’s popularity with Republicans grows
- Entertainment: ‘Let the Church Say Amen’ premieres on BET
- Center Fold: Back to School-A guide for parents; Finding success in any grade; Choosing extracurricular activities
- Junk food ads target minority communities; Anxious? Watch caffeine
- Opinion: The legacy of Julian Bond
- Pro & College Sports: Sam Houston Bearkats on verge of greatness
- High School Sports: HISD football teams to watch this season
- Top Events: Black Chamber Meet & Greet; Ensemble Theatre Black Tie Gala; Thomas Jones 60th Birthday Bash.
Defender Media Group
12401 South Post Oak #223
Houston, Texas 77045
Houston's Leading Black Information Source.
The Defender was founded by C.F. Richardson Sr., in 1930. From the 1940s to the 1980s, C.F. Richardson Jr., led the company. In 1981, a new era of modern journalism began under Sonceria Messiah-Jiles. Today, the Defender Media Group’s products include: traditional print, online and social media.